I was given a book about the life of Fr. James Gray, osb. "Bush Dweller". He lived as a "solitary" (it seems he preferred this term to that of 'hermit') in his small rustic dwelling in the bush on Abbey land in Muenster, SK. I didn't have the opportunity to get to know this man well, but I loved him from a distance and saw his radiance of spirit fill the space around him. The book is a collection of essays written by his many friends and loved ones, and edited by Don Ward.
Why is it I'm so proud of this work and so inspired by it? I am overcome with the love poured into it and soothed by the writers contributions...who all confirm in one way or another how James' life of solitude gave him freedom from every pretense, need to impress, or desire to judge or control. His being was so accustomed to silence he created space for people to unfold their deepest, truest self within, without fear.
The reading has given me a way to make meaning of, and pursue more mindfully, my own urban solitude.
Friday, January 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A Little Way
Today is the memorial of my favorite saint, Therese of Lisieux. I am drawn to her story, "Story of a Soul", for her determin...
-
"On the banks, on both sides of the river, there will grow all kinds of trees for food. Their leaves will not wither nor their fruit f...
-
A few years back, I watched two Netflix series that showed the lives of good men gone wrong....leading double lives mostly and caught in t...
-
Sunday Readings - Ezekiel 37: 12-14, Psalm 130, Romans 8:8-11, Jn 11: 1-45 "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes i...
No comments:
Post a Comment