Sunday, January 5, 2020

A Glimpse of Faith Without Fear



I woke up this morning with the Australian people, animals and the whole of the land surrounded by ocean on my mind. I have a nephew with his family who moved to Perth in the fall of 2019.  As far as I know and understand, they are safe.  However, there are many more who are not.  And so, I spent the early morning hours in solidarity with them all, in quiet prayer.  As I did, a joyous, spacious, patient peace filled my heart; my being.  Quite different from the usual anxious waiting in prayer, this time brought a sense of assurance and calm in the midst of a fiery fury down under.  Is this what it was like for Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego?  Faith without fear?

Shortly after, I was looking at Facebook and a woman posted a picture she took of the sun in the sky where the top half was black and the bottom half was red – apparently looking exactly like the symbol for the Australian indigenous flag.  She saw it as a sign of favor, posted it and had thousands of hits and likes in a very short time.  



Hope comes like a wisp of smoke rising from incense or from sweet-grass.  It comes unbidden, unexpected, and grants us a stunning sound of laughter in the face of danger.  Not the mocking kind…but the otherworldly, trusting, peace-able kind.  And it doesn’t take away from our responsibility to mitigate the effects of climate change, to turn ourselves around for earth’s and nature’s sake.  It reminds us a greater Divine Heart is at the Source of all that’s going on in our world– a Mother loving her creation into maturity; loving us into maturity.



No comments:

A Little Way

     Today is the memorial of my favorite saint, Therese of Lisieux.  I am drawn to her story, "Story of a Soul", for her determin...